These are the main signs that a child / teenager may need a comprehensive psycho-educational assessment for dyslexia or specific learning difficulties as well as individualized instruction in order to cope with school:
- Difficulty learning, understanding, and remembering what is being taught.
- School grades have declined and the child has difficulty coping with increased learning demands.
- Child does not enjoy reading, difficulty with spelling or writing in English or Mother Tongue.
- Difficulty paying attention in class or staying focused when doing academic work.
- Child can do the initial part of the Mathematics exam paper well but not the more challenging problems in the later part.
- Child does poorly on classroom exams. This is particularly concerning when the child has studied for a test and seems to know the material but then does not do well on the test.
- Child does not know how to study independently.
- Child appears smart but is underachieving in his/her school results.
- Difficulty completing homework on time or rushes through homework without concerns about correctness.
Similar to seeing a specialist medical doctor for a medical diagnosis before you commence treatment for health-related concerns, seeking an ‘educational diagnosis’ from experienced Registered Psychologists for your child’s learning difficulties, be it dyslexia or other SLD, will bring about the most informed and best possible intervention help for your child.
Although dyslexia / SLD may feel like a label, it may be more helpful to think of it as an explanation to better understand your children / teenagers’ academic struggles and predicament to facilitate the best possible follow-up learning programmes for them.
Dyslexia / Educational / Specific Learning Difficulty Assessment:
Dyslexia, Educational and/or SLD Assessment for your child / teenager, aged 6 years and above, is only conducted by experienced Registered Psychologists according to International Standards. It will include an internationally-recognised psychological report that is accepted by international and Singapore schools, examination boards as well as medical and healthcare professionals.
The report will include personalised recommendations for your child to help him/her cope better in school, home and in life. These may include extra time for local and international examinations (PSLE, GCE, IB, SAT, etc) and/or exemption from taking an additional language in school, if warranted.
Adult dyslexia assessment is also available for students, aged 17 to 24 years, who are enrolled in schools, ITEs, junior colleges, polytechnics and universities.
Assessment Fees: From SGD1300 onwards
Assessment fees are inclusive of (i) professional consultation, (ii) assessment/test and (iii) psychological report. No additional or hidden consultation charges.